Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do my eyes deceive me?

Well as I was thinking about this year and what to add to this log of our lives I began to remember the strange and wonderful things that we have seen this year. Most of the things are new to my own eyes...Tyler being born and raised in Alaska has less opportunity for first time sightings. So here are a few things I thought I would never see in my entire life...but I was so wrong.


#1 -- Beluga Whales.
For the first time right before the end of the summer as we were driving out for our last camping trip we saw some Beluga Whales coming in with the tide as we drove along the waterside.
Though this picture isn't taken by my camera it is a glimpse of what they looked like. We didn't get to see their faces but you could see their backs as they swam through the water....there is no missing these bright white animals.


#2 -- Moose

You might be thinking that we see moose all the time. Though that is true this is the first year I have seen one in my front yard. Don't go running out of your house too quickly at any time. You never know what is going to be out there...



#3 -- The Finish Line
During a long and what seemed like a never ending 13.1 mile Mayors Half Marathon I though I would never see the FINISH LINE...I never thought I would desire to see a Finish line as much as I did during the Half Marathon. A finish line has never looked so amazing. During the Marathon I concluded that this would be a once in a lifetime experience. However now that several months have passed I am once again contemplating doing it again next year...what joy I experienced crossing that long desired Finish line.

#4 Pink?
Can the crazy, rough, and fighting sport of Hockey have anything in common with the sweet, delicate, girly color pink? I never thought so...but what I saw with my eyes has proven me wrong.
This month in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month the Alaska Aces Hockey team had pink jerseys and played on Pink Ice.
It was quite the look...I didn't know you could make that much ice so brightly colored....What girl doesn't like Hockey if it is all Pink :) It made for quite a colorful game




#5 -- An Ice Hotel

The funny thing about this place is not the fact that it is an entire building made out of ice. Though it is amazing that there are stairs, several rooms, beds, a bathroom, an igloo, a bar and a fire place (of course without a real fire). The most bizar thing about this is that while they wanted it to be open for people to stay, since it is a Hotel, the place didn't pass fire code because there is no sprinkler system in the building. You would think the building itself would be a sprinkler if there was a fire...being made of ice and all. At least you can go inside for awhile and look around. All in all it was quite a site...never thought you could make an enitre Hotel form only ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.