Friday, November 30, 2007

Sunny side of Life

I have never considered myself a morning person, but there is something about this time of year that just makes me feel like I am both a morning person and a night owl. I believe it's the daylight (or lack of daylight to be precise). As I rise in the morning to darkness outside and head into work, there are several hours before the sun starts to peak out above the mountians. Then as I arrive at home, the sun has set but there are still several hours before it is time to turn in for the night. Though this ideal "superwoman" idea of being both a morning person and night owl is only dreaming on my part, for when I turn over in the morning and look at the clock, I am thrown back into reality that it isn't really that early. In the evenings, when I feel as if it is time to finally turn in for the night, I look at the clock on the wall and am startled to see the hands on the clock only reading 7:30pm. The night has just begun...I'm no superwoman, it's just perhaps my own wishful thinking mixed with the daylight hours growing shorter and shorter.

The sunrise is now at 9:45am and sunset is upon us at 3:53pm. The weather is cold and so instead of being more active and productive, I become more of a homebody. It means that outdoor activity is almost non-existent except for the quick jog from my warm car to the movie theater or grocery store. And it means that I am neither a morning person nor a night owl but simply tricked by the lack of a full bright sunny day.


One thing that is nice about so much darkness is getting to see the late sunrise. There is no early rising to see this beautiful sight. I can sleep in on a Saturday, take a shower, get a cup of coffee, watch a few I Love Lucy episodes and then look out my window and enjoy the peaceful delight of watching the sunrise over the mountains.

Yesterday at work we all walked into my bosses office and watch the sunrise together as it cast a beautiful pink hue over the sky. It was a refreshing break form the busy work morning. So even though I have to run my life according to the clock on the wall, since the light outside is deceiving to the real time, it is a delight to be able to enjoy the sunrise without having to lose any sleep.

No comments: