Yesterday was no ordinary day. It started out as an ordinary day and then I went on a walk with my friend Natalie and our dogs.
We have gone walking several times together the past few weeks and our dogs love to be out. We got out of the car and right away saw two moose right off the path picking at the trees and just standing around. They didn't even seem to notice us. Yawkey's tale was wagging and he would growl and then let out an excited little bark and kept look at me as if wondering why I wouldn't let him off the leash to go play with those large animals. I am sure if he was loose he would go right up and lick the moose on the face if he could. Natalie and I snapped some pictures of the moose and then proceeded on with our walk.



Fast forward about 45 minutes later as we get near the end of our walk and Natalie spots another moose in the woods. We stop for a moment to look and then we notice him starting to walk towards us. So we take a few steps and see that he is starting to come towards us faster. Now I know we need to find something to hid behind and funny enough (though not funny at that moment) the only thing close was a small clump of trees (if you can even call one measly looking tree and a skinny birch tree a clump.) So Natalie and I scooped up the dogs and huddled together behind the few tree branches we could find. The moose came trotting out towards us and stopped on the path staring straight at us and didn't move. Finally he decided to head down the path a bit more and slowly started walking. Practically holding our breathe Natalie and I stayed as quit as possible hoping that he would keep walking. He did but was sure taking his time and kept on the path. So, after what seemed like a long time to us (in reality probably only a few minutes) he was far enough away for us to get out from behind the tree and head back to the car on the other trial that went around the other side of the frozen pond. There was no way we were following that moose all the way back. What a relief it was to get back to the car.
It made me grateful actually that I had been charged by a moose already my first hiking trip up here because this time i knew what to do. Though knowing what to do doesn't really make it much better the second time. We both ended the night saying how much we hate moose.
It sure is nice to back at home safe and sound.
2 comments:
Wow Laura! Watch out for those moose! Yikes.
I'm so glad you and Yawkey are ok...very cute picture of you two!
Post a Comment