Thursday, September 2, 2010

Caribou...lots and lots of Caribou

Tyler got back about a week ago from the great Caribou hunt of 2010. He went with about 17 other guys way out to the brooks range (I think this is where they were at) for a 10 day Caribou hunting trip and they were successful. Tyler left with very little.


But he sure came home with a lot of Caribou. Tyler got 3 Caribou and between all 17 guys their group got a grand total of 35 Caribou. It was quite the scene when they come home with all these antlers on the back of the truck.


When they arrive home I knew what that next day, and all weekend for that matter, would hold - Caribou meat processing. All day Saturday was spent cutting up 35 Caribou and packaging them into Roasts, Steaks and meat to be ground into hamburger. Since I hate touching raw meat this was not a "party" that I was looking forward to which led to perk number one of the day - having a kid. I got to be the babysitter for my nieces, nephew and Neal while everyone else got to participate in the processing "party" . Neal joined them outside for little while while I was running to the store for more supplies. He didn't seem to mind the smell or the rain.



After that all day event we came home with two ice chests full of meat ready to be ground into hamburger and one and a half ice chests full of packaged Roasts, Steaks, Loins, and Backstraps ready for the freezer.



The next day Tyler spend all day processing the remaining meat into hamburger and Brats. The perk of having a kid again came into play as I was able to stay home with Neal while Tyler went to do all the processing. However now that all the processing is done work has started for me. I now get to cook all of this meat this winter (the freezer is completely full with nothing but Caribou meat - Like I said there is a lot):


So look for some fun posts to come showing the different ways that I get creative making Caribou - 'cause we will be having lots of Caribou in this house. It sure is nice to have a freezer full of meat

No comments: